Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Walking Isn't a Bad Word, Is it?

I got up early this morning to run on the treadmill before work. I hate the treadmill, but when it's dark and early, sometimes it's just easy, so I'm happy I have it as an option. So that's how my morning was going to start. Up and at em! Hop on the treadmill, run a few miles, listen to some podcasts, and get into work early.

Well, plans don't always work out as.... planned. I walked a little to get things loosened up and then started a little jog. Then my knee grumbled, then maybe it yelped, back to a walk, try to jog, my knee hates me. What to do? What to do?

Do I crawl back into bed? Do I tough it out? Do I ride the stationary bike? Do I make coffee and catch up on my Words with Friends games? Or do I WALK?

I chose to walk. And then I spent a good part of the two miles that I walked on the treadmill trying to remind myself that it's ok to walk. Walking is better than going back to sleep isn't it? It's not like I was strolling, I was Walking with a capital W. So why did I have to convince myself that it was ok?

I run/walk lots of my longer races. I always have. Some of it is habit but sometimes it just feels good to walk and rest my running muscles. And come on, it's not like I'm going to win. So if taking a few walk breaks makes it more fun then why not? WELL, tell that to some of the runners I've told it too and their reaction would make you think that I had told them I soak my sports bra in urine before every race! What's the big deal? I've heard it a million times:

That race was crap I actually had to walk

What kind of idiot does that run/walk crap?

Why would you walk? It just slows you down.

It's not really running if you're walking.

UGH, dumb dumb dummies! Here's the thing, any forward movement counts. Some of it's prettier than others, but ALL of it is better than sitting on the couch! If it's not a good day to run, but walking is ok, it still counts. People that say dumb stuff about walking don't realize that someday walking might be all they can do. They also don't realize that no one likes a jerk. Walking isn't a bad thing, but being a jerk DEFINITELY is. Especially if you're being a jerk to yourself.

That being said. This morning I thought I was going to run, but it didn't work out. Instead, I had a lovely walk where I pushed myself, upped my incline, and got some decent exercise. It was all my body could give me today, so I took it. THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment