Sunday, January 6, 2013

Frozen Turtle Run

oof.

This run definitely falls into the category of "this is either the best idea or the worst idea...ever". I still can't decide which it was. BUT! There were definitely some best ofs and worst ofs involved.

 
 
The run was organized by Indiana Trail Running. A group I've heard lovely things about and joined, but haven't had a chance to run with yet. There were some people there to run 10 miles, 20 miles, and a 50k out in the woods with beautiful snow. It was going to be amazing (in my head). And I'll admit that parts of it were. We tackled the three lakes trail which was 10 miles and that's all this gal was interested in doing. Things got going and I was feeling positive.

The scenery was beautiful but the trail went from easy tamped down snow, to powdery exhausting snow, to trampled melted and refrozen trail. I was exhausted. Flailing my arms around like a drunk due to constantly being off balance. My positive feelings, quickly changed to "how am I going to survive this"? Would I have been better off without a Garmin on this run? YES! If I hadn't had a constant reminder of how slow I was going and how MANY miles were left, I think I could have surrendered to the run a bit more.

Thankfully I had lovely company that pretended to be struggling as much as I was.We ran a little and walked a LOT. My feet were killing me due to my Yak Trax and plantar faciitis. But I wouldn't have wanted to attempt this run without them.

Despite the pain in my feet and the weariness of my body, I still laughed from my belly and had wild conversations about how it would be great if we could fly back to the cars on a dragon. And then when everyone asked why we were so slow we would tell them, "maybe if you weren't in such a hurry you wouldn't have missed this DRAGON!" Maybe you had to be there but it made perfect sense at the time.

We were greeted at the finish by warm smiles and a warm fire. As with most runs, I'm glad I did it. I got to meet some new people and spend a lovely morning on the trails. So what if I'm exhausted and my feet are killing me? It's good stuff.

Check out the Indiana Trail Runners! Good people with good snacks. It doesn't get any better than that!
http://indianatrailrunning.ning.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment