Sunday, October 28, 2012

Now What?


I set three running goals at the beginning of 2012:

1) Run a trail half marathon (this scared the crap out of me)

2) Redemption Marathon (Columbus, Ohio Marathon)

3) Run 1,000 miles for the year


And now here I am. I ran my first trail half in May and threw in a trail full for good measure. I had a blast and got a PR at the Columbus Marathon. And somewhere around mile 18 of the marathon I hit 1,000 miles for the year!

One thousand running miles for the year is a goal that I have made for the last two years. Last year was a fail. I don't even think I really recorded many of the miles I ran. I wasn't in love with running last year and fought through a few injuries. I didn't want to be reminded of how few miles I was running. But this year I figured I'd give it a go again. And here I am! Already over 1,000 for the year, all other items checked off and this leaves me wondering.... now what?

You know that point in the marathon where your Garmin hits 26.2 and you think, "ok, I'm done. 26.2 is all I agreed to!"? Minor issue is that you probably didn't run all of the tangents at correct angles so of course the course is a bit long. You have to keep running to the finish line, I mean, if you want your medal and space blanket you do. And I do want my medal and space blanket... always. Well part of me feels like that about the 1,000 mile goal. Welp, I'm done! No more running for me! But really, if I didn't run anymore this year, I'd be ringing in the new year as a single lady in a mumu. Single because I'm such a grump when I don't run, my husband would likely walk out on me. Wearing a mumu because I would probably weigh a thousand pounds by year end... So I suppose I'll keep running.

But it's not even the end of October and I'm goal-less. And I've been racing and trainings so much I forgot what casual running is... This is one of the dumbest problems I've ever complained about...

I suppose my goal for the rest of the year could be to have fun running? Oh, and stop griping about problems that aren't really problems....

No comments:

Post a Comment