Friday, January 31, 2014

Laziest Runner EVER!!!!!

I love lists. They calm me and bring order to my life. I'm not exaggerating. Sometimes I'll write a list and throw in a few things that I've already done just so that I can cross things off right away. It's satisfying. A few days ago I wrote out this list


It's a good list, right? Just some chores around the house that need to get done. Honestly, the entire list would take like 20 minutes to get through. So, if it's 20 minutes worth of chores why write a list?

Because I'm the laziest runner EVER! That's why.

I've been running a lot lately. Because I love running. I love challenging myself with more miles! Blah blah blah same old same old, right? So what's wrong with that? Nothing really. Except that I am kind of a useless bag of flesh when I'm not running. Oh yeah, that.

People assume that if you are a person that runs 20 miles on a Saturday for fun you are also a person that has a spotless house and you have boundless energy. THEY ARE DEAD WRONG! At least when it comes to me they are. I love crashing out on the couch like a sloth for hours on end. No lie. Especially during the winter. I literally start to get giddy as the work day finishes because on non running days I'm fantasizing about changing into my jammies, melding with the couch, and cuddling with my pups. If I didn't run 30 miles per week, I think I would be near immobile.

And running 30+ miles a week sometimes helps me rationalize my laziness. You know, I ran 10 miles on a Tuesday, I'm not doing any extra movement until I have to run again! I deserve a break, huh? That's great logic for someone that has a maid and a chef and a dog wrangler.... I do not. It's just me and my husband who also runs a lot.

I'm realizing that while some people might think that the hardest thing I do is finding the energy to run all these miles.... the truth is that the hardest thing I do is finding the energy to do everything else. Running is easy. Cleaning the toilet is lame. And no one gives you a medal when you're done.

So, my new solution is to make lists. A short list of things to do before I give in to my lazy good for nothing couch . I've only made the one list so far. And I did all the things on it......so I might have rewarded myself with a few days of nothing.....A "recovery week" or two.....

Baby steps

No comments:

Post a Comment