Tuesday, July 10, 2012

I Should be Skinnier By Now

You would think that when you train for a marathon you would lose a zillion pounds and have abs of steel. You would think that wouldn't you?

I have yet to make it through a marathon training without gaining weight. I'm 36, so I no longer have the magical metabolism of my youth. Back then I could survive on a steady diet of Nutty Bars and Mountain Dew and maintain a weight around 110 (seriously was that real?) So here I sit. Three pounds up from when my head switched to MARATHON MODE and I can't decide if I care. Because frankly, all I want to do is eat.

When I started running I was in the process of shedding 30 pounds. Running was a magic bullet. Any running I did would help on the scale or allow me some extra goodies.Then my body got used to running and the only time it showed on the scale was when I wasn't running. Oof.

So I took on my first full marathon thinking that it will be a wonderful bonus when I get rid of those few extra pounds because I'll be running SO much. And training progressed..... and I asked one of my friends, are you hungry all the time? Because as I'm putting food in my mouth I'm thinking about what the next food I'll be eating will be. Thankfully, misery loves company and my friends were struggling with the same thing.

Now, I'm anxious for my taper. And I suppose when that comes around I can focus my neurosis on that. But today, I can't help but focus on what I'll be eating next, and that my pants feel a bit snug this morning. And don't tell me that I can eat whatever I want because I'm training for a marathon. Because I'm moody and irritable from training for a marathon. Your liable to see me break down in tears, or get punched in the gut. Boy, my husband is a lucky guy.

1 comment:

  1. The other day I spent an hour chatting with a fellow in line at Holiday World who is trying to get off of his pill addiction. He is 35 and has such regret for what he has put himself and his family through. He said every day he constantly obsesses about pills and the one thing that has helped him is the love of his dog.

    Where am I going with this? Every morning since then I wake up and think of this fellow, Michael, and his struggles with addiction and realize I have a wee bit of an addiction with food. When I crave food I think of him, put down the sweets, and hope, hope, hope he is making smart choices.

    Stress and eating go hand-in-hand for most folks. I promise never to tell you that you can eat whatever you want and Chris is indeed a lucky fellow. :)

    To put it in the worlds of Michael, "At least I never got into the needle drugs."

    Didn't make you feel better? No? Well crud.
    love you!

    ReplyDelete